Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower
From: Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:24:28 +0100
At 16:47 09/04/2005, K8LX wrote:
>If you look at the numbers, the increase in
>downward force is insignificant, compared to leg strength and
>to what the down-wind leg experiences in the un-guyed state.
>
>Steve K8LX

Sense at last. I note the periodic return to this topic initially with
amusement, but eventually with annoyance. There is a prejudice on the
reflector against crank-up towers and some of this rubs off on
self-supporting towers..... after all it isn't guyed Rohn 25/45/55 so it
cannot be right.

To suggest that a sensibly guyed 'self-supporting' tower is less safe than
without the guys is risible......(as I said in my post of 18 April 2003!)

Chris