Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:52:35 -0700
Yeah. As I recall, the last such thread was triggered by someone wanting to
guy a crank-up. It morphed into a general discussion on any guyed
self-supporters.  As I recall, Yuri finally quenched the issue by making the
distinction between cable-dependent crank-ups and non-cable-dependent
(ratcheted) or fixed self supporters. It would appear from all those old
posts that leg failure in compression would take a back seat to other
possible failure modes such as section interfaces, dynamics, and all those
other issues that require more than simple static analysis. There seemed to
be a consensus that guying a cable-dependent crankup was probably a bad
idea, but that certain fixed self-supporters might benefit. Proving it,
however, would not be a trivial task, which is probably the reason most
manufacturers avoid the issue even though their towers woud 'appear' to be
capable.

All that still leaves us back at the "analyze it if you have the
credentials, or pay someone else who does; otherwise do what the maker says"
point. YMMV.

Chuck, N4NM