[TowerTalk] polyrod panic!

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'Frank Donovan'" <donovanf@erols.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] polyrod panic!
From: "Peter Grillo" <ah3c@frii.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 14:56:05 -0600
Now you tell me!  After reading the earlier post I panicked and went out to
look at the condition of a 3/8" supply of polyrod which I had picked up from
K4XS early in 2004.  Each coil looks fine, with a smooth surface.  But I
took the suggestion to heart.  After unsnapping all the tie-wraps except the
few inside coils, the monster sprung several outside coils.  Then I tried to
lift on side of the remaining coils so I could hopefully roll them along the
ground to make them unwind, while using the ground to keep the individual
coils from springing open.  This was a bad idea.  It weighed at least 150
lbs and I lost control.  Now it's a mess!  I did manage to unwind about 300
feet of it by taking one coil off the top at a time and walking it.  This
will be a major effort in the end.  I now realize it's at least a 2-man job.
Oh well, live and learn....back to watching the Masters.  We're expecting a
foot of snow tonight.