Re: [TowerTalk] Guying free-standing towers: the initial post

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying free-standing towers: the initial post
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:15:44 +0000
> If I remember correctly, this started with a question
> from a chap who is putting up a self-supporter which
> is too close to a power line. He asked if there were
> any problems with a safety guy.

Well, not really true.  The original poster mentioned that he wanted to guy the
tower since it was close to power lines.  In the midst of lots of opinions from
various folks (some using technical terms, some somewhat qualified to comment,
many just giving personal opinions) there was one suggestion to just add one
safety guy wire which would serve to cause the tower to buckle in case it
started to fail towards the power lines.

I'm of the opinion (chemical engineer not structural) of following
manufacturer's recommendations and soliciting same if they are not published.
My observation is that if the original poster was going to put up a self
supporting tower and then guy it, why not save a few and just put up a guyed
tower?!  Anyway, we all are free to do whatever we want to ourselves, please
don't hurt others.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY