Re: [TowerTalk] Guying free-standing towers: the initial post

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying free-standing towers: the initial post
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:34:50 -0400

Best answer of all was to hang two copperweld slopers from the tower as a
token to the storms gods and enjoy the new antennas!

BTW, when the hurricanes are lurking off shore I have three steel  cables
with hooks that I attach to my Glen Martin 9' , self supporting, rooftop
tower that are anchored into the steel in the walls of the third floor of my
house.   I put them there so the whole works won't blow away.  A few years
ago, hurricane force winds ripped the whole tower out of my roof deck, deck
included,  after  shearing one lag bolt.  Had to rebuild the antennas, but
that was insignificant compared to the damage to my roof and elevator
housing from the whole mess rattling around after coming out.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"