Re: [TowerTalk] HBX tower rotational loading

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HBX tower rotational loading
From: "Roger K8RI on Tower" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:06:39 -0400

> I've been reluctant to continue this guying thread...
> but this really is slightly different...it's hbx/hbdx related:

Something to remember about the BX through the HDBX series.  They are made
from fat stamped steel and like aircraft structures derive their strength
from the shape of the stamped material.  Anything that distorts the shape
causes a loss of strength.  How much distortion is created by the twisting
it the important thing.  That is why they limit the boom length even though
the tower is rated at a rather high figure for wind loading.

The shape factor also makes the proper atachment of guys (when used)
important.  I'd not want to resort to the time honored way most of us have
gone in the past, by just looping the guy wire around the leg and I'd guess
that probably happens more with the lighter and less expensive towers.

Guys should be atached using a backing plate and eyebolt if guying hardware
is not provided. Even better would be a backing plate the same shape as the
tower legs that would nest inside. I'd want a backing plate at least the
thickness of the tower leg and about 6" to a foot long.

Properly atached, I don't see how guys would hurt in this case, but the
"loop around the leg" will exert distorting forces on the leg.  I'm sure we
have at least a few on there who could calculate the actual values.  I
belive those legs are galvanized, mild steel (according to my very old
manual) so the tensile strength figures should be available

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com