Re: [TowerTalk] rotating guy collar source?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotating guy collar source?
From: "Bill VanAlstyne, W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:02:51 -0600
Depending on the diameter of the section of tower you want to attach to, the
Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing could be what you're looking for. It works for up to
2.5" dia masts. You get four angled guy anchors with it that can be fastened to
the bearing body with supplied screws; you attach your guy or wire antenna
support lines to these anchors. The thrust bearing is double-raced and very
smooth. It will take a fairly large load. You can order from Texas Towers, among
other Yaesu dealers. $49+ from TT.

Having said that, this also brings up the question (again) of how/whether to
attach guys (or, presumably, taught wire antennas) to the upper segments of a
self-supporting tower. If the wire antenna is light-weight (small-gauge wire)
and not significantly tensioned, you might be able to get away with it with no
additional offsetting wires. If it's heavy and/or tightly tensioned against the
bearing/tower, that brings up several other considerations and a good deal of
conflicting opinion.  :-)  Just had a very extensive thread on this subject here
last week.

Bill / W5WVO