Re: [TowerTalk] what kind of camera is best for a tower cam?

To: "'Jim Rhodes'" <k0xu@iowadsl.net>,"'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what kind of camera is best for a tower cam?
From: "Daron Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:03:54 -0700
We use a variety of cameras in our installations.

One good source is SuperCircuits, they have a large variety of cams, lenses,
radios, etc.  Good folks, very affordable product.

That being said, on our main site on the mountain, we use these:

Outdoor - Pelco heated enclosure with defroster, Bosch day/nite color cam
with 4-20mm varifocal lens. ($800)

Outdoor view but protected - Supercircuits PC-197.  This one is cheap and
does well if protected from the elments a bit. ($150)

Indoor - Supercircuits PC213XS or similar, different lenses for different
applications.

The feeds go into a rack mounted PC based digital video server which records
and archives the video for weeks, plus sends alarm emails based on motion.
They are also connected to an Express6 server by stardot technologies
http://www.stardot-tech.com/express6/index.html which allows us direct
access and also FTP's images out to our website (www.ocrg.org).

We've got a few of the less expensive consumer grade pan/tilt/zoom cameras
that are network addressable, they do work but we've got a fairly harsh
environment to make our stuff work in, and the lenses are not too high
quality so the image isn't real great.

We keep our access protected, but if anyone is interested in looking at it,
drop me a note and I'll let you in for a day or two to see what we have.
This was our first winter with them up there and we learned quite a bit.
Once it's sunny and nice, we'll be doing quite an upgrade and making it
better before fall.

If someone comes up with a good product to enclose the less expensive
cameras in that would work outside in the weather, I for one would be
interested.  Also we are looking for good, cheap, 70 ohm coax switches that
can be run with 12 volts preferably.  We'd like to add more cameras and
switch what the views are remotely.

73
N7HQR
Daron J. Wilson, Oregon Coast Repeater Group
www.ocrg.org