Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic Welding

To: WarrenWolff@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exothermic Welding
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:47:35 +0000
Warren:

     The key to what your electrician friend said is <I have used this process
to weld bonding wires to  steel columns in high rise buildings.>   Amateur
towers are not made from thick steel members like building steel columns, but
from thin wall tubing.  You would probably damage the structural integrity of a
typical ham tower by using Cadweld or other exothermic process to attach ground
wires to the tower members.  The heat would destroy the mechanical strength of
the member at the joint.

     I suggest you use a SS clamp for these connections, as you had planned.
You will have to ensure that the copper ground wires (assuming you're using
copper) do not come into direct contact with the aluminum of the tower legs.  I
believe Champion Radio Products sells SS hose clamps that have a SS tab that
hold the copper ground wire against the rest of the SS hose clamp, and not
directly onto the tower member.

GL es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F