Re: [TowerTalk] W3CRA's location

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W3CRA's location
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:32:25 -0400
        Several have responded that Frank's terrain
was in a September 1966 QST article by W3AFM.
Unfortunately my QST's on CD-ROM end in 1964.

        If anyone has a USA Callbook from
the 60's, please look up W3CRA (Frank Lucas
in Canonsburg, PA...not the recent Collins
Radio Association trustee) and send me his
address (off-list).  With Mapquest or Topozone,
I can locate his QTH precisely and take a look
with HFTA.  If I see anything interesting, I'll
post a summary here.  This has been a mystery
for years and maybe I can solve it now.

        Just seeing his call brings back lots of
old memories...especially his back-scatter signal
with an extra long dash in the "A" at the end of
his CQ's.  I can still hear it..."di dah dah, di di di
dah dah, dah di dah dit, di dah dit, di daaaaaaah".
RIP Frank...I still hear you 599!

                        73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  If someone has a copy of the W3AFM
article, I'll pay for copyiong and postage.