[TowerTalk] Taking Down TV Towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taking Down TV Towers
From: Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 08:17:56 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
A ham I know just moved, and left to towers. There is nothing really
valuable on top; but they need to come down. They have been up for about
30 years.

They are welded, extruded (I believe) tubular steel construction. Each
section is 10 feet, three legged, with a triangular cross section welded
in. These cross sections are every 18 inches or so. Four sections are
bolted together (3 bolts), for a 40 foot (plus 10 foot mast) height (50 ft
total). They are bracketed against the house( about the 10 ft level). The
base, for both, is the bottom section set in a small amount of
buried concrete(about 2 feet deep).

This type of TV antenna tower (about 30 to 50 feet height) is quite common
in the Toronto Ontario area. I don't know who manufactured them; but there
are a lot of them. They were commonly known as bracketed towers. Sometimes
they are on top of apartment buildings where they have guy wires.

I have climbed this type of tower; but as I get older, and they get older,
I get more leery of doing it. The ones I am considering, appear quite
solid to about 1/3 the way up, but are pitted and rusted further up.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to take them down?

I can never remember seeing anyone else climbing one, or even putting one
up. Does anyone recall how these things were erected? Some of them have a
30 pound (or more) approx. 2.5 inch (it varies) 12 foot mast, with stacked
yagis and rotors on top. I can't imagine the average 230 pound TV guy
swaying around on top (40 feet plus), and hauling up and installing all
that gear.

roy
VE3RFT