[TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:18:59 -0500
I hate to sound stupid, but at that risk here goes.

When I was in school for psychology one course on IQ and testing said, "IQ is
what an IQ test measures."  I have transliterated that into, "SWR is what an
SWR meter measures."  There are some pretty basic designs to measure SWR using
diodes to detect voltages.  There are also some more sophisticated designs and
instruments to measure SWR which yield (relative) impedance.

But can I ask, "What is the difference in perception at the receive end of a HF
wireless signal transmitted with an antenna measured that has a 2:1 (impedance
either high or low) SWR versus an antenna that has a measured SWR of 1:1.2 or
so - given you are working with the same antenna AND given your modern rig does
not power reduce prior to 2:1 SWR?"

I suspect the perception is negligible and that any efforts at reducing SWR
lower than 2:1 are futile, a waste of time, and fruitless other than for
personal satisfaction.  Is this a correct observation or largely in error?

Let the flames begin.