Re: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:15:13 -0400

Tom Rauch wrote:
>>>But can I ask, "What is the difference in perception at
>>
> the receive end of
>
>>>a HF wireless signal transmitted with an antenna measured
>>
> that has a 2:1
>
>>>(impedance either high or low) SWR versus an antenna that
>>
> has a measured
>
>>>SWR of 1:1.2 or so - given you are working with the same
>>
> antenna AND given
>
>>>your modern rig does not power reduce prior to 2:1 SWR?"
>>
>>With a 2:1 mismatch at the far end the return loss is 10
>
> dB. This is
>
>>another way of saying that for every 1000 watts you send
>
> to the antenna,
>
>>100 watts is reflected back towards the transmitter.  The
>
> radiated power is
>
>>reduced from 1000W to 900W (about 0.5 dB decrease)
>>
>>With 1.2:1, the return loss is 26.4 dB: only 2.2 Watts
>
> gets reflected back.
>
>>(0.01 dB decrease).
>>
>>In reality, it's not quite that bad, because most
>
> transmitters don't
>
>>present a perfect match to the reflected wave anyway.  So
>
> in the 2:1 case,
>
> <snip>
>
> Actually not.
>
> Reflected power and return loss is a model that represents
> mismatch. The reflected power can only be taken as a "loss"
> when the source appears to be a "fixed" dissipative
> resistance that looks like 50 ohms, like a signal generator
> through a large attenuator pad would appear.
>
> Real transmitters almost never behave that way, and if the
> transmitter has a tuner it absolutely doesn't behave that
> way. Most SSB transmitters actually favor a load impedance
> higher than 50 ohms, that's to increase linearity.
>
> In any event, it is always considered that the reflected
> power makes only one trip, and that 100% of the reflected
> power returns to the antenna from the transmitter.
>
> The end effect of all this is the VAR (volt-amperes
> reactive) power in the transmission line increases. As far
> as we are concerned the only thing that happens is
> transmission line loss increases slightly. Since HF losses
> are predominantly resistive losses in the conductors, unless
> the line is a significant fraction of a wavelength long
> losses can actually DECREASE when the mismatch is in a
> direction that reduces current!!
>
> This is why open wire line, even with very high standing
> wave ratios and extremely high return loses, "return losses"
> that would imply only a few percent of power is transferred
> often operate with very high efficiency.
>
> Now if the source is a generator or transmitter through a
> very large attenuator pad of an impedance equal to the
> impedance you are considering "return loss" as being
> referenced, you could consider the "return loss" as a direct
> reduction of power. Of course that loss would have to be
> added to the increase in loss in the transmission line
> caused by the termination mismatch.
>
> For amateurs, in order to not be confused by models of
> [...]

I agree with Tom about reflected power not being dissipated in the
transmitters final. For all practical purposes, it all gets returned to
the antenna and radiated except for the small amount of loss the
transmission line causes from the mismatch.

The exception would be as Tom described an attenuator at the transmitter
absorbing the reflected power. Another way to look at it would be if you
had an isolator at the transmitter output. Then any reflected power
would not get re- reflected back to the antenna but all reflected power
would get dumped to the load on the isolator.

If a tuner was in line and matched the transmitter would never see any
reflected power. The tuner does not absorb the reflected power but
reflects it back to the antenna.

I don't understand what is meant by "losses can actually decrease when
the mismatch is in a direction that decreases current"? I don't see how
that can happen. How can current ever be less than 1 unless you change
the characteristic impedance of the transmission line? Unless it is so
short that it is no longer acting like a transmission line.

Open wire line operates efficiently with high standing waves (high
reflected power) because its characteristic impedance is high and
therefore the current is low compared to a 50 ohm coax line. Much less
current in the open wire line even with high swr and therefore lower I
squared R loss. I know that Tom knows that but the way it is written it
may be misleading.

73
Gary  K4FMX