Re: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures

To: Ian White GM3SEK <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:58:44 -0400
Gene Bigham wrote:

 > But can I ask, "What is the difference in perception at the receive
end of a HF wireless signal transmitted with an antenna measured that
has a 2:1 (impedance either high or low) SWR versus an antenna that has
a measured SWR of 1:1.2 or so - given you are working with the same
antenna AND given your modern rig does not power reduce prior to 2:1 SWR?"

--------------
Assuming the SWR is correct, you will lose 4% of the power
transmitted. Say 40 watts at one KW out.

73
Ed

_

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Gary Schafer wrote:
>
>>But where does that "lost power" go?  :>)
>>

> Converted into hot air... where else could it *possibly* go?   :-)

Maybe, maybe not. There is not enough information about the transmission
line to say. Just because there may be 4% reflected power doesn't mean
there is that much loss.  The reason for the "where does it go"

73
Gary  K4FMX