[TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR is what SWR meter measures
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:08:38 -0500
So could I ask the question again, as I am not sure I have gotten my answer yet.

"What is the difference in perception at the receive end of a HF wireless
signal transmitted with an antenna measured that has a 2:1 (impedance either
high or low) SWR versus an antenna that has a measured SWR of 1:1.2 or so -
given you are working with the same antenna AND given your modern rig does not
power reduce prior to 2:1 SWR?"

What will the other station perceive?  Show your work please.

The key here is what is perceived at the other end of the transmission circuit
versus the time and effort to improve an antenna from 2:1 to 1.2:1?

So far there have seen two dissimilar responses and a lot in-between:

With 1.2:1, the return loss is 26.4 dB: only 2.2 Watts gets reflected back.
(0.01 dB decrease).

Hmmmm 1.2:1 lead to 26.4 db loss?  That does not sound correct.

To...

Assuming the SWR is correct, you will lose 4% of the power
transmitted. Say 40 watts at one KW out.

I am working on my own answer to the question showing formulas, and etc.

Best Regards,
Gene Bigham
KB0GU