Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?

To: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@cox.net>, <richard@karlquist.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:07:46 -0400
> In any event, getting the most (however you want to define
"most") out of
> an array driven with multiple amplifiers is a somewhat
tricky
> proposition.  If nothing else, having separate amplifiers
that you want to
> run at full tilt leads to some optimizations for patterns
that run counter
> to traditional approaches which tend to try to maximize
overall RF
> efficiency (that is, power radiated in the desired
direction over RF power
> put into the system).

Before I got involved deeply with a complex system I'd like
to see IMD tests on a single brick.
There's a great deal that can go wrong with linearity in a
class E system used as a linear amplifier.

Can you imagine anyone who went through the trouble of
putting up several antennas for one band (in a stack)
wanting to give up several dB of power when using one
antenna? I sure can't!

Then there's the receiving issue.....and lightning.....and
you still have all the same common mode RF in the shack
issues but now you involve low power leads carrying high
common mode currents (if antenna design is flawed).....

So...what's the advantage again? Light weight for portable.

73 Tom