Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mini Lini on the Tower?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:33:47 -0700
At 07:51 AM 5/17/2005, Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist \(N6RK\) wrote:
> > The advantage is that it's a new technology, which, in the long run, has
> > great potential.  Such innovation should be encouraged because it
> > "advances
> > the state of the radio art", which is one of the reasons we
> > amateurs get to
> > use valuable spectrum for free.  The SGC implementation may have problems,
> > but it might also have unique advantages, both of which nobody will know
> > until people start to actually use them.
>
>Some people just like to have the state of the art.  Solar panels
>come to mind.  My experience has been that a lot of "innovative"
>technology comes with a long list of "features", but the one that
>is almost always missing is "cost effectiveness."

At least in the "early adopter" phase.  But only by getting some out there
and playing with them do people find out what features are useful and which
aren't.  You don't see manual spark advance and mixture controls on cars
anymore, but that was a standard feature in the early days.

And you're very right.  New technology is rarely cost effective IF used to
perform the existing tasks with existing requirements.  However, new
technology might enable new things (hopefully useful, but you can't
generally tell in advance) to be done that just cannot be done with the old
technology.  Adaptive nulling and beamforming might be such an
application.  Certainly, it's been useful in other communications applications.