Re: [TowerTalk] Solarcon A-99 vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Solarcon A-99 vertical
From: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:38:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Run away as fast as you can!  This is a CB antenna designed for the CB band.
It is esentially a 1/2 wave over a 1/4 wave matching section.  Can you tune it
up with a tuner?  Probably.  I've seen screen doors tune up with a tuner.

If you want a 18' HF antenna, look at the Shakespear marine antenna.  I know a
few snowbirds running these on their motorhomes with an SCG tuner and they wrok
good.

The A-99 is a piece of junk!  Since you are going to run a tuner, why not get 2
pieces of wire, 55' long each, feed it with ladderline, and tune 80-10 with no
problems!

If you choose to run the A-99 anyway, moving the tuning rings UP makes the
antenna think it is operating on a higher frequency.  Moving them down is for a
lower frequency.  Got analyzer?

Dino - K6RIX