Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?...YES

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?...YES
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:41:56 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/05 7:56:29 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
jc-smith@comcast.net writes:
Depending on your soil, you probably won't be able to get it in as deep as a
real ground rod before you start to smash the copper; at least that was my
experience with one I use for an electric fence around my tomatoes (I have
Labradors).  It only went in three or four feet, but it works fine for my
purpose.

You sure can use copper pipe for ground rods.  I've posted this one before,
two ways to do it.

Easiest way is to connect a female hose end to the half inch copper pipe,
connect the hose to it and usually all ten feet go down like a knife in butter.

The other way is to get 3/8 inch rebar, insert it inside the 1/2 inch copper
and bang away.  Usually the copper doesn't wind up crumpling more than an inch
or so.  I've used this method on the towers located far from the house and the
hose bibs.

Bill K4XS