Re: [TowerTalk] Getting ground rods OUT

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Getting ground rods OUT
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:44:53 -0500
Jim- I have had need to take rods and steel fence posts out. I used a small
tractor with an Hydraulic lift system. (Small is relative- this is not a
garden tractor- it is small by serious farm standards.) I use a  draw-bar
on the hoist, and have 300 pounds of counterweights on the front. I wrap
the chain around the rod- several times- and loop it around the draw bar.
One has to be careful, because the typical hydraulic hoist can lift the
front axle, even with the weights, and can turn you over. On the other
hand, the control is sensitive enough to allow a pretty good balancing act.
This works for me, in pretty sticky soil
Bill

At 01:03 PM 6/12/2005 -0400, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>As we work on relocation, I have to strike the last vestiges
>of my antenna system.  There are two 8' ground rods, each sticking
>out by something less than a foot.
>
>I'd just pound 'em further in, but they won't budge.  Similarly,
>I can't get enough purchase on them to manually extract them.
>Possibly a tripod & come-along would help...if I could rig some
>sort of chinese finger puzzle linkage.
>
>any thoughts?
>

>n2ea
>jimjarvis@ieee.org