Re: [TowerTalk] TA-33 Jr. SWR curve

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TA-33 Jr. SWR curve
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:30:35 +0000
paul@w8aef.com wrote:

> I designed the beta match using MATCH, a program that came with Yagimax.
> The only change I made between design and use was to lengthen each driven
> element half by 4" and move the beta shorting bar out 6".  These adjustments
> were made with the antenna pointing straight up.

I don't quite understand why the only adjustments you made were to the
DE. By definition, a beta match is looking for a negative reactance. I
wonder why the other elements were not adjusted. Also, were you able
to achieve a 1:1 match with the beta?

> A note: the W2PV design is very narrow banded.  SWR, F/B and forward gain.
> My antennas are all adjusted for 25 KHz up from the bottom of each band for
> resonance (best SWR) and are dedicated for cw use.  If I want to work ssb I
> go to the C-3.

Have to disagree a little here. All 3 of my 5 elements yagis are a
modified W2PV design, and the bandwidth on 10 ( between the 2.0 SWR
points ) is over 300 kHz. On 15, it is
low enough to cover the entire band. 20 runs out of gas about 14.190.

All are set for 40 kHz from the bottom of the band.