[TowerTalk] Director Becoming Rotatable Dipole -- UPDATE

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Director Becoming Rotatable Dipole -- UPDATE
From: Tim Holmes <w8tah@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:28:44 -0400
Just an update on this topic:  I picked up the director element over the
weekend, and it is from a Cushcraft A3 Beam.  It has two traps on each
side of the element.  When my friend originally picked it up, the traps
were pretty cruddy inside, but he was planning to use it in full
configuration , untill the XYL intervened (LOL), so he is just using the
driven element for a rotatable dipole, and i got lucky enough to get the
director.    Because he was going to use it, he disassembled and cleaned
and reassembled the traps, however i notice that they are not totally
sealed (should they be?)  So that part of it should be in good shape.
Another friend that i talked to suggested using one half of it as a
vertical with an antenna analyzer to determine the resonate positions
and then making the other half match -- any comments suggestions?

also feeding -- I have had 2 sugggestions -- a Gamma match -- and a coax
choke coil -- i would love to hear suggestions on both -- any and all
information is welcome --  my goal is to have this thing mounted at
about 40 feet or so and ready to run for contest season

TIM
W8TAH

Timothy A. Holmes (W8TAH) wrote:

Good Morning everyone:

One of the guys in the club here in town has given me the director off
of an old 10-15-20m beam.  I have not picked it up yet, nor do know the
manufacturer or model number of the beam it came from, but I was
wondering what it is going to take to transform it into a Rotatable
dipole for those three bands.  I am suspecting that I am going to have
to lengthen it some, so I am guessing that Aluminimum tubing will work,
this is not a problem, as my father is building an all aluminimum
aircraft, and working alum. is not a problem.

Your thoughts and comments would be most appreciated

TIM
W8TAH