[TowerTalk] Steel vs. Phillystran guys...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steel vs. Phillystran guys...
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:12:36 -0700
My plans are to put up ~134' R45G with the top ~93' being above an RTS rotating
tower rotor with guy rings... antennas will be stacked thus the tower will be
heavily
loaded [we are in a 70 MPH zone here in SE AZ].

I read somewhere, I think K7LXC or a link through Champion, a study on guying
and what makes towers come down... this was several years ago. Guy stretch
appeared to be a big problem with the tower eventually failing at the base due
the stretch. A comparison was made between steel and philly with philly
stretching
MUCH more - enough that to me it looked silly to consider it.

However - since then has there been new information on the subject? Is using
philly
acceptable (I know the anecdotal comments will come with that one)... ? I will
need
to break up the guys if steel and this is a great deal of work so philly would
be better
from that aspect - but if it is indeed less capable of holding a heavily loaded
tower
(antennas along the top 90' length) then the effort on steel is worth it.

Any more data in - scientific analysis to agree with or modify the original
conclusions
put forth on this subject?

thanks for your considered opinion.

Gary K9RX