Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel

To: "Jerry K3BZ" <k3bz@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights Tower - Separating Aluminum from Steel
From: "Dubovsky, George" <George.Dubovsky@andrew.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:28:53 -0400
Jerry is absolute correct on the physical relationship required between
the steel and the aluminum for the differential expansion scheme to
work. It never occurred to me that the aluminum legs would go inside
steel sockets, what with the possibility of collecting moisture, etc.

Having said that, I have found, in 40-some years of working on antennas,
towers, and rusted farm equipment, that a couple of heating-cooling
cycles will sometime provide just enough relative movement between
pieces of assemblies to break the corrosion loose, and facilitate
disassembly. You do need to be a little careful with aluminum, though; I
seem to remember that somewhere around 500 F is the region where you can
start affecting the heat treatment.

73,

geo - n4ua

Steel

> The aluminum legs are, I believe, inside the steel base sockets... so
if
> aluminum expands at twice the rate of steel, wouldn't heating tighten
them
> rather than loosen them?
>
> 73,  Jerry K3BZ

Give it