Re: [TowerTalk] Tower placement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower placement
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:42:59 -0400
K3WA:

 >  It appears  to be a couple of miles before the next ridge of equal height
 >  to where I am located.  Maybe more.
 >
 >  I plan to put up a 70 ft tower with a HF beam this summer.  My question
 > is:
 >  Where on the property should I put the tower for the best DX propagation?

         Bill, I've done a fair amount of modeling mountain top
locations, both for my W3CRA analysis as well as a potential
new QTH I'm looking at.  Based on this, I would guess the
exact location of the tower near your drop-off may not be
as important as the height.  My guess is that you would do
much better with a 40' tower for HF bands (i.e. above 40m).
The only real way to know for sure is to thoroughly model
with HFTA using the automated terrain profiles.  Don't take
simplified shortcuts on the latter and follow the instructions
in HFTA exactly.

 > Conversely, I also plan to put up a NVIS wire antenna for close-in
 > stateside
 >  contesting.  What location would be best to get the optimum high take off
 >  angle?

         Maximize flat terrain underneath the radiator.  NVIS
uses the earth as a reflector to radiate the signal upwards
and will work best if you mount it where the reflector is
flattest.
                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  W3CRA analysis: http://users.vnet.net/btippett/w3cra.htm