[TowerTalk] Climbing safety

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing safety
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:34:24 -0400
I've just been reading the messages from Dec. '02 and Jan. '03 and
picked up a lot of good information, but I still have some questions.

I am planning to put up a 60ft. AN Wireless tower, and I intend to get
the climbing bolts and the safety line option: 3/8" aircraft cable
running from top to bottom.

I already have the Lad-Saf cable grab that will go with the safety line,
and a full tower-climbing harness (6 D-rings) and a Y-configuration
fall-arrest (stretchy) lanyard with rebar hook are on their way. I also
have the tower safety book that ARRL sells, but much of that seems to be
directed to people who already have a basic knowledge of how to use such
equipment.

Questions:

Can the Y-configuration fall-arrest lanyard serve as a positioning
lanyard with the small hook attached to the chest D-ring of the harness
and each of the rebar-hooks attached to a tower leg, or do I need a
"non-stretchy" lanyard for that? Or does the Lad-Saf/safety line
combination itself serve as a fall-arrest system rather than a
positioning device? If the latter, would the Lad-Saf be connected to the
chest D-ring or to the back D-ring? If the Lad-Saf is connected to the
front D-ring, does it need a lanyard there, or would I connect the front
D-ring directly to the carbiner on the Lad-Saf?

If I need a "non-stretchy" lanyard as a positioning device, what is an
appropriate length, taking into account that the tower tapers? Do I need
to look for an adjustable lanyard that I can shorten as I move up the tower?

Our club does have a member who works for the cable co., but he admits
that climbing towers is different from climbing poles.

73

Alan NV8A