Re: [TowerTalk] dipole question

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole question
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:02:34 -0400
At 06:56 20-07-05, Tom Rauch wrote:

>By the way, I hope you bonded the three ground rods to your
>utility company service entrance ground. With all that
>grounding work you probably want to do things correctly!

Hi Tom,
This brings up a question I was about to pose to the list myself!

In my new QTH, the tower is at the back of the house (an existing base with
new tower). I will ground each leg and bind them together, but the
electrical service ground is actually INSIDE the house, through the
basement floor. How should I handle this situation?

Actually, there are two tower bases at the house. (I haven't decided on
putting up the second tower yet) I was thinking of binding the grounds of
the two towers together and just running some ground cable into the yard
with 2 or 3 more ground rods. I can't see a way to connect them to the
service ground without bringing my lightning protection under the
floorboards of the house itself, and frankly that doesn't sound like a Good
Thing.

I have an overhead plan view that I can e-mail if anybody's able to
comment. This is my first house and first tower, so I don't have a lot of
experience in setting this stuff up, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.

- pjd

W2IRT