Re: [TowerTalk] dipole question

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dipole question
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:14:58 -0700
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 3:56 AM

> Since you attach the
> grounded shield to one half, the outside of the cable
> elevates in voltage in an attempt to get current flowing in
> the grounded half of the dipole. That causes some current to
> flow down the outside of the shield, and the cable to
> radiate. The outside of the shield actually becomes part of
> the antenna when the feedpoint isn't properly designed!
>
> > It actually is a bit more complex than this, but this is a
> good rough idea of what is happening.

I appreciate the explanation given, but (I and maybe others) would like a
follow-on of what is happening to this outside-of-the-shield current and how
significant is it?

2. The current flowing on the outside of the shield must have an opposite
current (charge) flowing somewhere.  Is it the portion of the antenna that
is connected to the center conductor.

1. If for example, 100 watts is output but 10 watts is diverted to the
outside, that still leaves 90 watts to the intended antenna--an
insignificant (?) loss.

3.