Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n5wla@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:18:45 EDT
In a message dated 7/29/2005 6:33:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have a 95' Rohn 25 tower, guyed at 3 levels.  While
mowing today I discovered a 1" slit, 1/16th wide, in
one of the legs of the bottom section, about 28" above
the 4'deep concrete base.
Can this be salvaged?

    Sure. After stopping the split by drilling like several people mentioned,
I'd go ahead and splint the thing using angle iron and a bunch of hoseclamps.
The leg compression forces are manageable with this arrangement. I sure
wouldn't take the whole danged thing down to replace the damaged bit.

    The other legs are okay? They have the same potential for damage. I'd
drill a small weep hole just above the concrete in the other 2 legs just to
make
sure.

    The water ingress is from condensation.

Cheers,