Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg

To: fred muehlen/N5WLA <n5wla@yahoo.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] split tubing in base leg
From: Blake Bowers <bbowers@townsqr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:36:57 -0500
I almost hate to reply, because there will be so much
said about this that I am sure some will think me totally
wrong, but, let the flames begin.

Weld up the split, checking the remaining legs carefully
for any more splits.  Make a weep hole at the base of each leg,
so that water cannot pool again, and be sure to clean them
yearly.

Put a piece of angle opposite the split, stretching 2 feet
above and below the split.  Take a number of
u-bolts, clamp them down well, and either punch the
threads to that the bolts cannot back off, or spot weld
them.  Prefered stainless hardware, or galvanized.