Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding & Generator Questions

To: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding & Generator Questions
From: "EUGENE SMAR" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:57:54 -0400
Doug:

     Your decision to supply the entire complex from TWO separate MG
(motor/generator) sets just escalated your design an order of magnitude.
You'll have to include a paralleling system of some kind to ensure that the
two generators are syncronized (in phase) with each other (running at the
same speed and phase within a couple of electrical degrees) before you close
them onto the loads.  This assumes you will feed the two loads with one
supply bus from the generators.

     If you decide to feed each meter/load from separate generators, you'll
now need to interlock the transfer switches so you don't backfeed the
utility feed from either generator.

     Asking us out here in Cyberland whether a two inch conduit is
sufficient to serve as a safety ground conductor is irrelevant.  Your local
electrical code holds sway in this design effort.  My experience has been
that you will need something called a derived ground system for your
generator complex.  I won't explain it here.

     BOTTOM LINE:  Have a licensed electrician or engineer design your
system for you.  At a minimum run your plans by the local AHJ (Authority
Having Jurisdiction) such as your permitting department.  Twenty-five KW is
an awful lot of generator capacity to fool around with.

Be safe and 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F, P.E.