Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding & Generator Questions

To: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding & Generator Questions
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:10:56 -0700
At 01:42 PM 8/4/2005, Doug Rehman wrote:
>Actually, this is not that complicated...
>
>There are three wires coming from the power pole (two hots and the neutral).
>There are three wires coming from the generator (two hots and a neutral).
>There are three wires going to the breaker panel (two hots and a neutral).
>The transfer switch (UL accepted Generac transfer switch DESIGNED for
>EXACTLY this purpose and DESIGNED to work with the generator) connects the
>two hot leads from the breaker panel to either the two hot leads from the
>utility power pole or the two hot leads from the generator. The three
>neutral lines (utility, generator, breaker panel) are all bonded together
>inside the transfer switch box.

And does that generator have the neutral and ground separated internally?
If it's designed for stationary use (i.e. it has no receptacles, and you
wire it up inside conduit) then it probably does. If it's a generator that
can be used for portable use, then perhaps not.

Such are the subtleties inherent in the generator grounding question.