[TowerTalk] Rain Static

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rain Static
From: John and Mary Powell <zl1bhq@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:39:00 +1200
I have been following the thread with interest. I have a question regarding
rain static, At our contest station, ZM1A, we have a Force 12 C3S on a 60'
tower and 100 metres away a triband, 2 element Quad at 35'. During approaching
and, with rain storms,. the Yagi attracts a high level of rain static, while
the Quad is largely unaffected. Is there an explanation for this phenomena ?.
However, some years ago I did recall reading about the comparisons of a simple
dipole setup and those of "closed loop" type of antenna, it being stated that
"closed loop" antenna were immune to rain static. I believe the author was
either Lew McCoy (ex W1CP), or the late Bill Orr W6SAI.

73 John Powell. ZL1BHQ