[TowerTalk] FCC to consider communications in light of HurricaneKatrina

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FCC to consider communications in light of HurricaneKatrina
From: "Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)" <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:01:02 -0400
I understand that tomorrow (Thursday) the FCC is to consider
communications in light of Hurricane Katrina:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-260918A1.pdf

but the location has been changed to Atlanta:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-261023A1.pdf

Submissions that have been made already include requests that, in light
of the vital role played by Amateur Radio in the aftermath of Hurricane
Katrina, the Commission should

1. act to override CC&Rs and HOA rules that prohibit the erection of
antennas and their supports or even prohibit the operation of Amateur
Radio equipment at all. Reason: the difficulty of finding homes where
Amateur Radio operation is not severely restricted or even banned is one
factor in the decline in the number of Amateur Radio licensees and the
resulting declining pool of people with the equipment and skills needed
in times of emergency.

2. ensure that BPL systems do not interfere with the Amateur Radio and
other vital services. Reason: increasing interference will lead to a
further decline in interest in Amateur Radio and a resulting further
reduced pool of people with the equipment and skills needed in times of
emergency. (E.g., Motorola's system is reputedly very good, but I did
not name it specifically in my submission.)

It is suggested that you add your voice by sending your own submissions
to the FCC at fcc504@fcc.gov, with copies to the Commissioners individually:

Chairman Martin, R: kjmweb@fcc.gov
Commissioner Abernathy, R: kabernat@fcc.gov
Commissioner Adelstein, D: jadelste@fcc.gov
Commissioner Copps, D: mcopps@fcc.gov

I am not reproducing my own submission here for people to copy, as
multiple copies of the same message are unlikely to carry as much weight
as messages that use each individual's own words.

Submissions should be polite, respectful, logical and literate. No rants.

73

Alan NV8A