[TowerTalk] Antenna Separation to eliminate Computer RFI

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Separation to eliminate Computer RFI
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:04:12 -0700
Folks,

I am helping a local university  bring up an HF station equipped with
Winlink Modems and softare to use as a medium for teaching computer
networking and security.   The station antenna  is set up in the main
student and classroom computing center, on the roof, within 100 ft of maybe
150-200 networked computers.  Surprise Surprise, S-9 white noise hash on
most bands.
My question is, We need to have the Transmitter and winlink setup located at
a classroom teaching position, along side the HF station, but it may be
possible to move the antenna some distance away from the building.  Is it
likely that a movement of the antenna from directly over the computing
rooms, to, say 150 ft horizontally away will reduce the current noise
sufficiently to be usable?  How rapidly does the signal intensity decrease,
as I move the antenna away from the building?

Thanks,

Pat Barthelow    aa6eg@hotmail.com