Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing guys and C31XR report

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing guys and C31XR report
From: John Fleming <john@wa9als.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:13:03 -0500

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>     I don't think the synthetic guy material that GME uses is
> Phillystran or it would be called that; I don't know who the
> manufacturer is for this specific material. Preformed grips are
> available for Phillystran but no other synthetic material that I'm aware
> of.

I'm going to use Phillystran and their grips this time.

> There is a Preformed ice cap available that
> fits over the end of the strands; some people just use tie wraps to do
> the same thing.

I will look into the Preformed ice cap.  In the meantime, do you have a
reference for how to use tie wraps?

  >     TowerTalk was started back in 1995 to try to keep amateur tower
> builders out of trouble. We've got your welfare at heart but in the end
> it's all your decison!

I credit TowerTalk with the considerable success that I've enjoyed so
far with this, my first tower.  We've discussed towers (which one,
aluminum or steel), feedlines (which ones, and bury or not, pvc or not),
and of course, antennas/rivets/traps/SWR/company/log or
not/grounding/concrete pouring etc.  So far, antenna excellent, tower
still up, no injuries, no lightning damage.  Thanks - I'll get the guy
wires remedied and hope for another 6 years or more!  73 - John, WA9ALS

P.S.  Any tips on assessing the condition of ground anchors in clay soil?