Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing guys and C31XR report

To: "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacing guys and C31XR report
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:56:56 -0400

> K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>>     I don't think the synthetic guy material that GME uses is
>> Phillystran or it would be called that; I don't know who the

The material used in the core is Kevlar.  A number of variants are sold as
Kevlar guy line.AES sells one although how it stacks up to the original
Phillystran, I don't know.

>> manufacturer is for this specific material. Preformed grips are
>> available for Phillystran but no other synthetic material that I'm aware
>> of.
>
> I'm going to use Phillystran and their grips this time.
>
>> There is a Preformed ice cap available that

Those are not ice caps, they are to prevent moisture from getting in the
cable.
They are well covered in the literature that comes with Phillystran.

>> fits over the end of the strands; some people just use tie wraps to do
>> the same thing.

I'd avoid tie wraps. They are no substitute for the caps.  Phillystran is
Kevlar and it is very sensitive to moisture. The caps are to keep moisture
out.  Do not install the cable without them.

Not only do I install the caps, but I use Silistac RTV (TM) to seal them.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com