[TowerTalk] Open wire transmission line

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Open wire transmission line
From: Steve <steveac@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:28:01 -0400
I'm thinking about constructing some open wire transmission line,
probably 70-80 feet in length. Probably #10AWG or #8AWG soft drawn copper.

L. B. Cebik's web site http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup31.html talks about
using rods cut from various materials for the spacers, suggesting that
Lexan is the peferred material.

I have a 1/8 inch thick sheet of Lexan that I could cut into into strips
for use as spacers. Perhaps an inch wide and long enough to space the
wires at five or six inches. Any problems associated with using flat
strips instead of rods? Either electrically or mechanically or weather
related?

Thoughts as to how how often to use a spacer? Every foot? Every two or
three feet? Other?

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ