Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 at 70' 70 mph

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w2wg@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 at 70' 70 mph
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:14:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2005 7:34:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I won't go into the lengthy details, but I need a guying diagram for a 70'
Rohn 55 tower.

    What do you mean by "guying diagram"? Except for the size of the top
guys, why can't you use a 45G diagram?

>  The local TIA wind requirement is 70 mph, and the wind load
of the antenna I am putting on it is 24.5 sq feet.  The Rohn/Radian catalog
guying information indicates Rohn 55 can handle 26.6 sq feet of antenna at
70', 70 mph, and will handle my requirements as high as 130'.

    In the general notes it says that 8 sq.ft. has already been deducted for
a symmetrical antenna mount so you can add it back it for a total capacity.

>  They also
don't expect anyone to be so silly as  to want to use Rohn 55 at anything
lower than 100', so there is no 70' diagram-just 100' and up.  Does anyone
out there have a diagram for 70' or any documented information which would
allow me to argue that if 55 can hold the wind load at 130' that it will do
the job at 70'?

    Who are you going to argue with? Someone in the building department?

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188