Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>,"Bob Shauger" <rgshauger@myyellowstone.net>,"darrel" <darrel@vanbuer.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:05:36 -0400
> Well, I have contributed articles to the ARRL to publish
and have no
> plans to ever do that again.  When a magazine publishes
weak articles
> like this one, an author has to consider whether he wants
to have
> his article in the same magazine with lower grade
material.  Publishing
> weak articles drives the good ones away.

I think the real problem is Amateur Radio is less and less a
technical hobby. It's difficult to get articles, and those
they can get will always make some people unhappy. They will
either be too simple (speaker box), too specific to a narrow
application,  or too complex.

It used to be easy to write an article with general appeal.
A Novice transmitter article would have hundreds of people
interested. I know dozens of people, myself included, who
used to build complicated receivers like the HBR14 and 16
that appeared in QST.

I'd wager if a transmitter or receiver article was published
today, very few people would be interested.

The only thing that bothers me isn't the complexity of the
article, it is the technical accuracy. QST seems to moving
towards CQ in technical accuracy. In other words technical
content is not checked before publication.

73 Tom