Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

To: "darrel" <darrel@vanbuer.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:43:22 -0400
<snip>
>>Most of the other hobby mags with which I am familiar such as aviation,
>>photography, and even Amateur radio do pay although not enough to get
>>rich.
>>So I guess, no significant writing is not all that far off.
>
> Ahem.. most professional journals CHARGE YOU to have a paper published,
> called a Page Charge (somewhere between $50/pg and a few hundred/page
> would

True, but that is a peer review system and serves an entirely different
purpose<:-))
It's how the writer builds his or her carrer and reputation.

<snip>
> Nope.. that's the procurement people making sure that the paperwork is in
> order so the taxpayer isn't ripped off. $500 per item for the paperwork is
> in the noise when buying airplanes, but a significant cost when buying
> hammers, but the FARs and DARs don't really differentiate.

And there is that entire multiple layer of paper work every time the item
changes hands.
I have a 47 year old much modified airplane. Just the paper work, not
counting logs weighs between 20 and 30#.

Can you imagine purchasing something to mil spec in a small quanity that
required doing a specific set up?

Even to FAA specs is something else.
Two examples.  The gear door hinges for my plane are relatively small
aluminum stampings. The gear doors are of course much larger and multiple
layer with stampings for strength.  *Each* hinge costs more than the entire
door.  That's just the half that gets rivetted to the door and it'll fit in
your hand.  Bout 10 years ago those hinges were near $500 each.

The nose bowl on the plane is a stamping and would require a set up.  It's
over $20,000.
There is a reason why the bone yards are so popular for older plane owners.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com>