Re: [TowerTalk] Tower failures

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower failures
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:17:01 -0400
<snip>

> And even trees tend to break into pieces or have the base kick out in the
> opposite direction as they fall.

A few years back we had some tornados and straight line winds through the
area.
We have several large trees in the front yard (East side of house)  The
straight line wind came from the west.

That tree was bent over to the point of nearly touching the ground.  The
wind quit suddenly with the tree snapping back up right.  One of the larger
limbs which was nearly a foot in diameter broke at that point as was thrown
more than 20 feet toward the house which would have been up wind. The butt
end of the limb dug a hole over a foot deep.  It's been a while, but I'd
guess that limb weighed near 800#.

Incidentally, there was no damage to the tower or antennas.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com