Re: [TowerTalk] Whole house surge protectors

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>,"Scott Neader KA9FOX" <ka9fox@qth.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whole house surge protectors
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:52:11 -0500
I have one on my house, installed by the power company.
It plugs into the box where the meter would normally plug in, and then the
meter plugs into it.  It says "LEA International" on it, and cost
around ~$150, purchased from the power company about 5 yrs ago.

I've never had a problem with it -- no RFI from it, and it has never acted
up, even with 1kw of RF quite close to it.  Nor have I had any equipment
damanged by lightning -- but then, all the electronics plug
into "real" lightning protectors (usually TrippLite) before plugging
into the wall.

Basically, I consider it cheap insurance.  I would never count on it for
protection for sensitive electronics, but it certainly can't hurt,
and I suspect it provides some level of protection for everything
in the house.

- Dave N0RQ