Re: [TowerTalk] WD40 - additional

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WD40 - additional
From: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:17:11 -0500
I have been impressed by the number and variability of the responses to my
query about WD-40 as a lubricant.

This morning, in Idaho Falls, ID, I had an opportunity to speak with one of
the DOE scientists about WD-40. He told me that it is a silicone product
which is deliquescent (captures moisture) and that is reflected in the name.
According to him the WD stands for "water displacing". The "40" is related
to the experimental 'mixture' that made it to the market.

He asserted that it does indeed work well as a lubricant because of the
silicone in the mixture. He stated that one should use only a small amount
and it should be used on things that restrict the access of air currents
because it will capture dust particles if they are present in high
concentrations. He felt that using if for indoor, enclosed equipment
applications would be optimum. He said he had used it as a lubricant and did
not find that repeated applications were necessary in the usage experience
he had had.

I am repeating what I was told so please do not expect me to provide 'real'
scientific data on this, only what I have written above. I guess this is
where one says "YMMV".

Tod, KØTO