Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)

To: Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>, TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:50:32 -0700
At 12:03 PM 10/7/2005, Bill Aycock wrote:
>No- no added wire. The "metallic conductor" I refer to IS the neutral
>wire, but there is an added bond from that to the earth ground rod
>within the panel.
>Significantly, ALL panels I have ever seen have this "Bonding
>connection" between the green wire blocks and the neutral blocks.
>Neither the green or the neutral is switched.

Some panels with transfer switches (for use with a standby generator)
included have the neutral switched as well.  If the the neutral is bonded
to the ground at the generator (true for most generators that have
"receptacles" on them), then unbalanced neutral return currents can flow
through the generator and back through the generator ground wire.  Fixed
standby generators (designed to be hooked up with a "wires in lugs" as
opposed to a plug/receptacle) have separate connections for ground and
neutral, and the two are isolated at the generator.

Apparently, too, the companies that sell generators and transfer switches
aren't real clear on which switches are supposed to be used with which
generators.  Home Depot sells a whole bunch of transfer switches with a 4
wire male plug on the front (designed to hook up to a generator) and a 2
pole switch (which raises the whole neutral/ground problem).