Re: [TowerTalk] Wire size for 800 meter long wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire size for 800 meter long wire
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 01:02:13 -0500
OK, I guess I have to eat crow again.  My simulation of this antenna had
an unintended load in it, due to using an old model file, which I didn't
inspect closely.

This is a pretty good antenna.  On 160 meters, it looks like the maximum
lobe, off the end of the wire, is around 5 dB at about 20 degrees
elevation, and it still has 0 dB gain down at 2 degrees.  At 10 degrees
elevation, gain is generally around 0 to 2.5 dB, almost omnidirectional
with only 4 small nulls going down to -7 dB.  The suprising part is that
most of the radiation is from a vertical component, not a horizontal
one.  There are also a bunch of high angle lobes.  These range 5 to 7
dB.  These numbers may not be exactly correct because the feedpoint may
not be as I assumed and the wire may not be the same size.

Jerry, K4SAV