Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions

To: Pat Chiles <chilesp@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:55:58 -0400
On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Pat Chiles wrote:

> My question is this.  If I attach two wires to one of these very
> short radials (3-7 feet) and and then run them out about 100 to 130
> feet, will they act as two radials or just one?

If the wire ends are within 0.025 wavelength, you might as well run
one.  The short radial stubs should be fine.

#22 is certainly big enough to carry the currents involved. My only
concern would be having wire large enough not to be damaged by rocks,
frost heave and other hazards of laying on the ground. #22 might be a
little smallish.

I used #16 gauge wire for my 25 60 foot radials, but #18 would have
been plenty. I still have some wire left over, I may try to put down
a few really long radials (100 feet), where I have room in my yard.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901