[TowerTalk] re Can Any Tower Handle Cat 5+ Hurricane?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re Can Any Tower Handle Cat 5+ Hurricane?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:48:44 +0000
In Katrina some towers came down; some stayed up.  (I'm talking about
commercial towers.)   It should be no surprise that it comes down to money.
  Kinetic energy is the square of the speed.   As wind speed goes up,
survival costs increase rapidly.   WLW's radio and tv made it.  But a few
years ago, the company spent 6 million bucks on tx towers that could survive
a super hurricane (can't remember the category).   They were one of the few
(maybe the only one is New Orleans) broadcasters that stayed on.  There are
no guarantees in this world when it comes to nature, but your chances can be
improved but at enormous cost.  most businesses think, "Okay, what are the
chances we will need this much hardening?"  Then they think, "For this much
money, we could rebuild x no. of times with regular structural strength."
Then they get insurance if they can, and keep their fingers crossed.  BTW,
the WLW engineering staff should get a standing ovation at the next SBE
meeting.

rob/k5uj