[TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>, <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY
From: "ChetMoore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:49:43 -0400

After watching the PVRC contesting  tape by W3LPL I decide to take " Take off
angle" seriously.   I recently put up a C4 at 45 feet below my C31XR at 90
feet. .  I chose 45 feet because........that gave me the most clearance for the
C4 to turn underneath the top guy at 70 feet.... and using the EYEBALL
method...it ALMOST clears.  Measured it today and we need another 20 inches for
the reflector ( C-4 is on a side mount) to turn under the guy wire.

I had my navsys engineer over here today (n4baa) and we determined that if we
put a piece of   I (eye) beam in the ground with 7 feet sticking up out of the
ground and move the present guy back 4 feet (as far as I can go and still keep
it on my property,  with the guy attached at 7 feet the C4  will clear the guy
wire by a couple of feet..

I'm guessing I need a 10-12 foot section  of eye beam with 4-5 feet buried in
the ground to have 7 feet exposed. Is there a rule of thumb or does Anyone
really know , how much do i have to put in the ground and do I need rebar in
the hole and how much cement is required to make sure the I beam stays put??
Tower is AB-105 Presently guyed at 40  and 70 feet, 2 el shorty XM 240 mounted
at 72 feet on a second sidemount.

Thanks

73

Chet N6ZO