Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY

To: TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:58:47 -0700 (PDT)
My two cents....

I have elevated guys right now and I don't like them
because I did it wrong.  They are holding but I would
do them quite differently if I had to do it all again.
 I have a 60 foot tower on a 80 by 150 foot lot so I
had to do something to get the tower up.  I under
engineered the project.  I would do the following:

1.  Get a PE to do actual engineering design
2.  Build twice as strong as designed
3.  Make sure there is a lot of concrete holding the
guy points...twice as much as I used.  I would
recommend at least three cubic yards of concrete.
4.  Check the soil for compaction properties.
5.  Build the elevated devices (that is what I call
them because they cannot be just girders or pipes) so
that there is a strong lateral compontent along the
pulling lines of force....both downward compression
and upward lift.  Downward compression towards the
tower tower and upward lift away from the tower.
6.  Move to a bigger lot and not use elevated guys

Just a few of my Libert Arts thoughts.

Lee - K0WA

Common sense is in short supply - get some and use it.
If you can't find any common sense, ask for help from
somebody that has some common sense. - Lee Buller